Sunday 23 November 2014

Taking a Deeper Look

*Thoughts related to the last three posts, and my experiences last night/early morning.

Looking back as to why I was held responsible for covering the fee of 7000 Indian Rupees to the police can be easily traced back to what seems to be an openly corrupt state. While I nor my soon to be attackers were in no way harming anyone by being on the streets at midnight, the police saw an often practiced opportunity to, through the use of force, extract some paper. After attaining human connection with one of the officers beyond who he becomes wearing his tan attire, I was told to go home, and up the road I managed to hitch a ride the full 4kms.

Whether or not this officer had the foresight, these mid-twenties boys could not afford to pay the fee to release the impounded scooter; they could not ask their families assumedly for financial reasons, fear, and probably both; they did not want to "steal" the money as humans are moral creatures; the easiest step they saw was to convince themselves I was the demon who caused these problems (I'm sure there is already an evil god in Hinduism named Jayden). They acted simply as they had been taught: it is moral to use force to achieve an end. They were prepared to beat me with stones, and threaten the family that was hosting me. If I were to continually resist, they were capable of going through all the motions eventually reaching murder (and at a much faster rate in their intoxicated state). If sadism can be quantified, I wouldn't label them as extremists, as I noticed many times morality and reason would cross their minds, to the point even through poor communication, they would begin to walk away but shortly after a cognitive dissonance would arise, and the crazed look of desperation took over their brutalized psyches.

I could have easily fled Kochi, but that thought instantly brings up the threatened family I mistakenly dragged into the problem. I went to an atm, and paid the fine.

"That India is a dangerous country" you say, "I'm so glad I live in country x, this would never happen in MY country." Following a longer set of steps, what happens if you don't pay your taxes?




No comments:

Post a Comment