Friday 23 August 2013



So I bought a 2009 Royal Enfield near Karol Bagh in Delhi. There is a street with all sorts of motorbikes lined up and ready to test drive. 3 of my most memorable shopping days. Fact.


First day on the Enfield: It took a couple hours to get outside of Delhi. We had planned it perfectly to leave just as rush hour hit, so we road until Panipat. We found a reasonable room which also doubled as a mosquito factory, where we spent most of the night either throwing Allan's shorts at the bastards, or practicing the important skill of towel whipping. I would like to tell you that when we woke their wasn't a single new mozzy bite, I really would. Unfortunately in the morning when I went to get the bike at the 24 hour secured parking lot, I found the bike moved from where I had left it and a few indications of maltreatment. The day had begun on a seemingly bad start, but I didn't feel too bad once I found out it was only 50 rupees to weld the luggage rack back on. I felt much more comfortable with Allan and all the gear the second day of riding to Chandigarh, especially with only a fraction of the traffic experienced the previous day. Chandigarh is the capital of Haryana and Punjab, wealthy, following a grid system (this is new to me), green, and arguably quite clean. Clean for the India I have seen thus far.


Our first tour stop was the Rock Gardens built by some guy with a lot of spare time and a very lonely wife. Being the only ones with white skin seemed to draw a lot of attention. First someone comes to ask for a photo, and once the first person has done it everyone else feels quite comfortable asking. I began to keep track by taking photos of those taking photos of us, and have counted 13 in a span of 1 hour. I had to explain all this for you to understand this photo. It was after a rush of about 8 people asking for family photos. 



I made a deal with his mother, and will visit the child every other weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment